Ending an Era

Emerging from behind-the-scenes and leaving behind a legacy, senior Megan Palmquist has just finished her career as Stage Manager for Orono High School’s Drama Department.

Her interest in drama started in middle school where her passion for theater began in the middle school productions. The past four years of High School has seen her passion blossom into acting roles and leadership positions.

“I always liked doing little skits. Once I got to middle school and I got the opportunity to to act in the school play I thought it sounded fun and I got involved,” she said.

Freshman and sophomore year she acted in productions such as “The Pajama Game” and “The Great Gatsby”. For the past two years, she has stage managed Orono’s one acts, plays and musicals.

“She’s shown her dad and I that she has a definite talent to be a leader,” mother Michelle Palmquist said.

A Stage Manager is an assistant of the director and all other staff positions, according to Emporia University. “It is my job to run the show from start to finish and make sure that everything backstage is in order,” Palmquist said.

It is no surprise to those around her that she excels at her role. “Megan keeps a level head and fixes problems…she is good at it because she really cares about her job,” Director and middle school English teacher Marie Campbell said.

Her impact has been seen throughout Orono. “She has created new traditions and continued old ones… [and] she is the master of advertising,” said castmate and junior Oscar Edwards-Hughes. “The department has grown with all the new and exciting changes.”

She has also been actively involved in Orono’s Drama Club. For the past year and a half, she and fellow senior Grace Jacques have been co-presidents.

“[Megan] has risen to the challenge… she is well organized, enthusiastic, and upbeat,” Drama Club faculty advisor and English teacher Larry Williams said.

Drama Club has seen an increase in participation too. “This year, the room is always full,” Williams said.

The recent growth in the drama department is seen most clearly through the increase in auditions. This past show “Look for audition notices! Be on the Crew! Come and see the show as an audience member!” Campbell said.

Megan Palmquist will continue her passion for drama at the College of Saint Benedict in St. Joseph. She was awarded the colleges four year Theater Scholarship and is majoring in Theater.

“I am so honored to have been given a theater scholarship that is recognition for all the hard work I’ve put into theater the past four years,” Palmquist said.