Chicken You Can’t Resist

Grace Reiners

A 3-finger combo and box combo at the Cane’s located in Minneapolis on Washington Ave.

A couple restaurants near here known for selling chicken are Raising Cane’s and Chick-fil-a. These two fast-food restaurants both offer chicken on their menu, but some people have a preference for which restaurant’s chicken they prefer to eat. That being said, you may have heard specific hype through high school students for Cane’s lately.

Raising Cane’s has numerous locations, however one popular restaurant near this area is located in Minneapolis, less than a mile away from the Mississippi River. As it attracts many college students that attend the University of Minnesota, high school students will make the trek anytime to get their Canes meal.

Todd Graves opened the first Raising Cane’s restaurant near the gates of Louisiana State University. “Our concept is one love: We do one thing and we do it right. But a big part of it is the culture of the restaurant (we play music and have an open kitchen where staff members can chat with customers) and our community involvement,” said Graves, according to Jason Daley on the Entrepreneur.

The Canes menu offers combos including chicken, fries, and toast in baskets, along with chicken sandwiches, and kids meals. They also are available for tailgate orders, where they offer quantities of 25, 50, 75 or 100 chicken fingers with sauce included.

One of the items that makes them stand out from other restaurants is the unique sauce they offer. We use our own proprietary blend of premium seasonings and spices in our Sauce and our Restaurant General Managers make a new batch every day in each Raising Cane’s kitchen, according to Cane’s.

“I really like going to Cane’s for their chicken because of the sauce you get, it makes the chicken taste even better,” senior Chloe Chumbler said.

The continuous social media advertisement and talk publicized through high schoolers, increases others interest in the restaurant. You can not miss a time when one of your friends takes a trip to Cane’s, as they are likely to post pictures of their food on social media such as Snapchat.

Junior Graham Mehaffey, is just one of the many students at Orono who carries an obsession with Cane’s. “My record is going six times in one week,” Mehaffey said.

Chick-fil-A definitely has a variety in their menu, as they serve breakfast, entrees, salads and treats. Their meals vary from chicken sandwiches to wraps and chicken strips or nuggets. Compared to Cane’s, Chick-fil-A allows their customers to chose from a variety of seven sauces to include with their meal.

Chick-fil-a has a rule very few are unaware of. If you visit the restaurant and sit down and eat with a friend, they have a box you can put your phones in while you are there, and if you last the whole time without your phone, they give you free ice cream before you leave.

The restaurant chain of Chick-fil-a is offering customers in some 150 stores a “Cell Phone Coop,” a box for families to ditch their devices while they chow down on waffle fries in-store, according to CNBC.

Everyday, people visit these restaurants for meals with friends, quick lunches, or post/pre-game celebrations. However, Cane’s is the place to be according to most high schoolers at Orono. This restaurant’s popularity continues to attract the kids, as it’s far location doesn’t stop Orono students from making a visit.