Orono hears Ted talk

Ted Wiese

press photo

Ted Wiese

On Friday, Sept. 30, the whole senior class headed to the auditorium to listen to a speaker funded by Tim Cashin’s parents. The speaker, Ted Wiese, opened up his presentation with a game centered around the Class of 2017’s school years. As he played the top hits from the past 13 years, the auditorium erupted with sounds of reminiscing about and singing along to songs like “Uptown Funk” or “Firework”.

As he continued, the room became more and more silent listening to his words of advising living up the last year of high school. Using anecdotes about his own childhood, such as a summer spent in Wyoming, advising students not to go through senior year or even high school with the crippling brake of a negative attitude.

Leaving a lasting impression, Ted ended with the optional gift of a pin for Orono’s students. The yellow pin emblazoned with the word “I am #2” is meant to spark curiosity in those who see, so if you see one ask about it.

This symposium was held in honor of Tim Cashin. Tim was an Orono graduate who went on to attend St. Olaf before his untimely accident. Tim was an actively leader in the Orono community and a role model for those around him. This symposium honors his memory and reminds students to live up the time they still have left in high school.