Orono students compete for chance to design VANS shoes

Students Maddie Mayhew and Taylor Werdel show off their winning shoe designs. Their designs were sent to be judged by the nation. Photo/ Sidney Fairbrother

For the past month, the artists of Orono High School have been artistically competing in a contest with big opportunity, the Vans Custom Culture Contest. The contest itself is very simple and has been great way to showcase the artists of different schools across America.

Artists who were chosen by their peers to represent Orono High School’s artistic talent were: Senior, Taylor Werdel, juniors Madeleine Mayhew,  Kaylyn Skjerping and freshman Danny Nyquist. These four contestants will have the opportunity, after judgings, to travel to L.A. to have their shoe designs judged and chosen by one surprised celebrity judge. They also have the opportunity to meet the other contestants and get involved in fun group activities.
    “First thing we had to do was draw out our designs and what we wanted to put on our actual shoe model,” said Werdel.  The artists first must create their design on a sheet of paper with the style of shoe they want to decorate. There are specific categories that the designer must uphold to while creating their design, which are art, music, local culture and sports.

“After voting for your favorites and getting chosen, Mrs. Hudgins then gives us the actual shoe to decorate with whatever medium we wanted to decorate it with,” said Werdel.

The contest itself is a homework assignment. The students have to first draw their designs then paint those same designs on a shoe. And still that’s only half the adventure.

According to the Vans website, “The last day to submit your shoes design photos is Apr. 13. Vans staff will narrow the national field of entries down to a group of 50 schools (10 per region), who will be announced on Apr. 20. Online will then decide the Top Five schools (one per region), which will travel to LA for the exclusive final event in May.”

Junior Madeleine Mayhew said, “I really only started this contest as a mode of procrastination, but I would be happy if it took me all the way to L.A.”

OHS art teacher Jayne Hudgins said, “I am very proud of my students for the hard work they have put into this contest. I think we have a good team of artists and I’m ready to showcase their talents.”

Sidney Fairbrother is the Visuals Editor for The Spartan Speak.