Sarah Johnston

Johnston+getting+ready+to+score+a+goal.+

Courtesy of Sarah Johnston

Johnston getting ready to score a goal.

Allison Stern, Opinions Editor

Sport: Soccer and Hockey

Grade: 10

Being only a sophomore, Sarah Johnston has already had an immense amount of success in athletics at OHS. Playing two varsity sports since she was a freshman, Johnston has never shown anything less than excellence whether she is running on the soccer field or skating on the ice.

Johnston has been playing soccer since she was four years old and has enjoyed every minute of it. Impressively, she made the Orono Girls Varsity Soccer team freshman year as a forward. Johnston helped the team to a second place finish in state last year (2015), and an amazing 2016 season. Another one of her achievements is that her club team (Maplebrook) won the regionals tournament.

“Playing on multiple teams has taught me how important teamwork is and I’ve learned how to handle the successes and failure as a team,” Johnston said.

Not only did she make the varsity team in soccer as a freshman, but she made a quick turn around from the fall to the winter and made the varsity team in hockey as well. Playing hockey since she was nine years old, Johnston has always been a quick skater similar to her speed on the field. She is one of the top scorers on the team and has contributed to their 4-5 record so far this season.

“She is different than other players in that she is dedicated to playing hockey, but she is more dedicated to having fun while doing so. She always looks to make people smile and enjoy themselves while playing,” senior Madeline Carlson said.

Johnston is not always so serious about her sports and adds a lot of happiness and fun to the team even at the most stressful of times. It is important for a successful athlete to not only be good at the sport they play but have a good relationship with their teammates, and Johnston is excellent at both.

“My favorite part about being on a team with her is how funny she is. If she makes a mistake or takes a bad shot, she is able to laugh it off and make a joke about it which keeps the mood light and makes her fun to be around,” senior Emma Sternberg said.

Johnston is aspiring to play soccer in college, and plans on working very hard throughout her next two years at Orono to achieve that goal.

“She’s like a little energizer bunny and makes our team stronger! I especially love playing with her and she is one of my greatest teammates,” junior Grace Limesand said.