Adderall Usage Abuse

A+graph+showing+the+positivity+rates+for+Adderall+Urine+Drug+Tests.+

Grace Reiners

A graph showing the positivity rates for Adderall Urine Drug Tests.

Adderall, an amphetamine classified by the D.E.A. as a Class 2 controlled substance, alongside cocaine and morphine, is a stimulant that allows individuals to stay awake and concentrate for long periods of time, according to Heather Wilk on Addiction Hope.

I think it is unfortunate that some people have to rely on using adderall to get their work done when they don’t actually need the medication,

— senior Sam Fischer

The number of students taking adderall in High School and college has increased quickly throughout the past couple years, and few people are unaware of the effects that come with the use of this drug. Clearly, the use of this drug can quickly lead to addiction. Students take adderall to perform better academically and receive good grades, or for recreational uses, but they do not realize it is a drug with high risks.

The number of prescriptions for A.D.H.D medications dispensed for young people ages 10 to 19 has risen 26 percent since 2007, to almost 21 million yearly, according to IMS health.

High School students can be found guilty of using this amphetamine for cramming in studying for finals, and for concentrating for long periods of time, like while taking the ACT. You must get tested for A.D.H.D. to be prescribed adderall, however, many students can easily get it on occasion from their friends. Whether they prescribed to this drug or not, some students believe the use of this adderall without prescription is unfair, and overly used.

“I think it is unfortunate that some people have to rely on using adderall to get their work done when they don’t actually need the medication,”senior Sam Fischer said.

Studies show less than 20 percent of teens are getting Adderall from doctors, meaning those who abuse it are likely getting the pills from friends or acquaintances, according to Kimberly Leonard on US News.

Adderall may make one feel motivated and productive for the short period of time, but the long term effects should not be worth the extra help it may seem to give you while taking it. Adderall can make people feel less hungry, more awake, and focused. However, it has life lasting effects that many students are unaware of, which shows why they tend to use it without thinking twice.  

Abuse of prescription stimulants can lead to depression and mood swings (from sleep deprivation), heart irregularities, and acute exhaustion or psychosis during withdrawal, doctors say, according to Alan Schwarz on The New York Times

Students must be informed that using this drug has high risks and it is not a natural part of learning or achieving tasks. Taking adderall without a prescription to take tests, write papers, or to study is reflective of a few ways high school and college students are abusing the drug, leading to addiction and further problems.