Respect is the New “R word”

The unified club has grown it’s presence in the community and every member has worked toward stopping use of the R-word.

Frankie Vochko

First established in 2013, Orono Unified Club brings together student athletes with and without intellectual disabilities to compete in various sporting events and activities. This club is one of Orono’s most notable and positive clubs because of how it promotes unity throughout all students. With over 50 active members, students and faculty have participated in sports such as flag football, bowling, basketball, and track and field and also activities such as the Polar Plunge, Unified Dance Marathon, End the R word, Youth Summit, and monthly club meetings.

Students are very thankful for the opportunities Unified Club has given them.

“I have really found a love for the kids and experiences that we get to share together! Playing sports and just hanging out with the athletes and other partners is always the best part of my week. Their smiles always put a smile on my face as well. I am so grateful that I found something I love so much,” senior Chair of Young Athletes Claire Hrusovsky said.

Orono has joined what is called End the R Word, which promotes completely ending the use of the word retarded and instead spreading the word respect throughout all people. The dictionary defines retarded as a slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc. The word was first used in the late 1800s to refer to someone who has a mental disability, but it quickly snowballed and became a derogatory word used to demean and hurt someone who is mentally disabled.

People began to use the word regularly and didn’t realize, or chose to ignore, the impact this word has on people. Instead of using words like absurd, foolish, dumb, childish, people chose to use the word retarded, which is both demeaning and rude. Respect is the new “R word” that should be used widely to spread happiness to everyone.

“Through what is known as the self fulfilling prophecy, people hear negative things that can creep into your thoughts and you may start to believe it yourself. This could start impacting how you live, like your performance in school, and interactions,” psychology teacher Ms. Ibs said.

This reaction could also go the other way too. If people hear positive things about themselves often, it can impact their life in a very good way. Unified Club has made Orono a more vibrant and positive community, and students and faculty are thankful for that.